1787Created by the North Carolina General Assembly.
1859Lumberton was incorporated.
1895The first water system was installed in Lumberton. The water was pumped directly from the river into the fire hydrants by 2 Worthington pumps. There were 35 hydrants and the average daily consumption of water was 50,000 gallons per day. The Fire Department had 30 volunteer firefighters, 1 hose and ladder truck, and 5 hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose stationed at various locations throughout town. The fire alarm was sounded by a whistle at the pumping station and a bell was sounded at the courthouse.
1898The water system had 35 hydrants and 2 miles of 4 and 8 inch water pipe. The town had an average daily consumption of 50,000 gallons of water per day.
1903Stephen McIntyre formed the first organized fire company after taking took oath as the special constable of the Chief of the fire department and a policeman of Lumberton. The hose reels throughout the town were manned by town's people.
The Fire Department had 30 volunteer firemen and 2 hose carts with 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose that was stationed at Elizabethtown Road and Elm Street. The water tank was located at Elizabethtown Road and Water Street and had a capacity of 66,000 gallons and was 85 feet high.
1907W.P. McAllister appointed fire chief and appropriated 6 assistants.
1908Q.T. Williams Chief of Fire Department with 30 volunteer firemen, 1 hook and ladder and 5 hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch of fire hose. One hose cart was stationed in the 100 block of W 4th Street. A whistle at the pumping station and a bell at the courthouse sounded the fire alarm.
Q.T. Williams resigns and J.P. Townsend appointed Fire Chief.
1912The town commissioners purchased a combination chemical and hose motor car for $6,000.
Fire Chief J.P. Townsend paid $15 a month.
[May] Jasper Rowan appointed Fire Chief and paid $15 a month.
1919 - 1966
[December] Ed J. Glover elected Fire Chief.
Fire truck chauffeur and several firefighters began sleeping in the upstairs of the fire station. The Fire Department had 14 volunteer firemen with a Chief and an Assistant Chief.
A 66,000 gallon water tank was located at Elizabethtown Road and Water Street The average daily consumption of water was 120,000 gallons per day. There were 3 miles of 3 and 8 inch water pipe with 30 fire hydrants. There were 5 hose carts with 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose on each, one hook and ladder truck and equipment that would be discontinued in April and the following was to be installed; 1 American LaFrance combination hose and chemical auto truck that would carry 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose, 2 chemical trucks and 1 horse hook and ladder with driver to stay at City Hall. The total amount of "good hose" was 2,000 feet.
The Gamewell fire alarm system was to be installed in April with 12 boxes. The alarm was to blow a whistle at the pumping stations and an extension of City Hall. Hose reel carts were stationed on Fourth, Seventh, Tenth, Pine, and Water Streets. The Fire Station was located at 4th and Water Streets with 1 hose wagon with 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose, 1 combination truck and 1 driver to sleep in the building which would change in the near future.
1921 - 1925Fire Chief Ed J. Glover instructed to work as nighttime police officer around town hall.
1924Population of Lumberton was 3,500. 2 paid firefighters were on duty 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There were 12 partially paid men, 1 American LaFrance combination hose and chemical truck with 1,500 feet of 2 1/2 inch fire hose. The Fire Station was located at 2nd and Elm Streets.
1931Fire Chief Glover paid $110 a month and Paul Britt first paid firefighter (chauffeur) $75 a month.
Chief Glover $110 and Paul Britt $85 a month.
1941Chief Glover $130 and Paul Britt $100 a month.
[January 12] Lumberton's Charter was changed from Town to City.
1946 - 1947
Fire Department Operating Budget
- $9,140 - Fire Chief
- $2,400 - Truck Drivers (chauffeurs)
- $3,660 - Volunteer Firefighters
- $1,000 - Gas, Oil, and Repair of Equipment
1955 - 1956
Fire Department Budget - $35,030.
Request made by Hubert Brooks to construct a fire station across the river on the Southside of Lumberton.
1966 - 1979
P.H. Edwards served as Fire Chief.
The Lumberton Fire Department began providing EMT response.
2 new Fire Stations were constructed. One at the corner of 7th Street and Cedar Street and the second at 801 Dunn Road.
Purchased 1979 1000 GPM Ford engine.
1979 - 1989
Sam Byrd, Jr. served as Fire Chief.
Purchased 1983 1000 GPM Ford engine.
Purchased 1987 1000 GPM Ford engine.
1989 - 2000Ronald W Parker served as Fire Chief - (April 1, 1989 Acting Chief; September 1, 1989 appointed Fire Chief)
1991Purchased 1995 E-One aerial.
1993The Fire Department began providing EMT-D response.
1996Purchased 1996 1500 GPM Pierce engine.
The Fire Department began providing EMT-I response. Purchased 2000 Ford F-450, 500 GPM mini pumper and squad.
2002Mike Cox appointed Fire Chief. Purchased a 2002 1500 GPM Pierce engine
2002Received AFG for fitness, implemented fitness and wellness program
2006Began providing EMT-P
2nd Aerial placed in service. 2009 Pierce Impel 75' Quint at Bailey Rd Station
New Pierce Impel Placed in service at Central Station
John Paul Ivey promoted to Fire Chief
101' Rosenbauer Aerial Platform placed in service at Station 1
Lumberton Fire Department begins training for additional Emergency Response capabilities
Connector Rescue 1 Boat purchased and placed in Service.
Ferrara Rescue Pumper and E-one Service Truck Placed in service